Friday, October 24, 2008

Gerard here!

Hi all,

I am at last on line!

A big thank you once again to all my friends for your support and I apologise for not replying to everyone. I am overloaded with visitors, phonecalls, doctors, tests, physio and just the daily business of getting up, showering, getting in the chair, getting out of the chair etc.

I am generally comfortable although have had a bit of trouble with neusea and bowels lately (I'll spare you the details but it can be a time consuming and exhausting problem when you cant run to the toilet)!

Physically I am doing well and it finally pays to be a lightweight scrawny bastard. Although I do have sore muscles I didnt know I had from the "physioterrorists" workouts. I assume the rehab, when I get there, will be even more like a "Boot Camp".

It looks like it'll be another couple of weeks waiting for a free bed at the Royal Talbot Rehabilitation hospital and then around 3 months live in there.

Love to all and dont worry about me. Not sure why but my spirits remain high and I have met a bunch of unbelievable people (mostly nurses and some inspiring patients too).

Gerard

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi mate,

Good to hear you are in high spirits and meeting some inspirational people. Everyone around the office is certainly thinking of you.

Dale

Anonymous said...

Gerard - Did you see this last night on the ABC (alternate drive mechanism for manual drive wheel chairs to allow single hand drive using an axle, and lower efforts through gearing)...

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2413854.htm

Hope things are going well,

Paula

mnmgirlau said...

Hi Gerard, Deirdre, Jessica & James,

Courage in the face of adversity... or a belief in a higher power... no matter what it is that drives you, I'm so glad you've got it.

My thoughts are with you all,
Anne