Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Hospital Visit


I visited Gerard today with Paula, another colleague Gerard was up and about today on an electric wheelchair. He was meant to have a normal one to star him getting moving on a conventional wheelchair and the upper body exercise which that involves. However Gerard's neighbour Bob the builder, the young at heart 85 year old who fell off a shed roof and landed on his hammer managed to pinch his wheelchair! So he's having an easy time today and getting into the exercise tomorrow. Gerard was relaxed, holding himself in a very upright sitting position, mentioning that his stomach muscles ached as they weren't used to the new posture. He was cheerful and laughed a few times, but did not make light of his situation, as he knows there's hard work ahead.
I'm not even sure if i've set the blog up right yet so you can make posts, but I'm sure you can make comments. I think Gerard would like to hear your comments and thoughts and not just me prattling on ..
Try clicking 'following this blog' and you will be contacted if an update is made. Click 'comments' to make a comment which should get to Gerard.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello - Paula here.

Everyone at work was relieved to hear that Gerard looked so well yesterday and in such positive spirits. I'll keep his attitude in mind next time I go to complain about something.

Seeing Gerard becoming mobile again was exciting. Getting outside for the first time in a while was great.

I hope that todays effort in the non motorised wheel car goes well...

P

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you up and about. That is always the hardest thing to do after an accident. Taking that first step (albeit on 4 wheels) is vital to getting on with life.

I can honestly say that life does go on after a spinal injury. My husband works 4 days a week in Defence, plays wheelchair rugby for Victoria, trains 2 days a week, and is learning to drive again.

It is all in the attitude and I know Gerard is one hell of a tough cookie.

Welcome to the wheelie world!
Kaliope